CEREC (Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics), also known as Precision CAD/CAM (Computer-Aided Design/Computer-Aided Manufacturing), is a dental technology used to create accurate porcelain dental restorations within minutes.
The CEREC technology is indicated to create dental restorations such as dental crowns, inlays and onlays (tooth cavity fillings) or veneers (wafer-thin, translucent ceramic shells placed over the tooth). Creating crowns is indicated:
- To restore and protect a worn, decayed or broken tooth
- To support the teeth after major filling or root canal therapy
- To cover dental implants and hold a dental bridge
- To cover a discolored tooth and improve the smile
CEREC consists of a computer program which displays three dimensional images of your teeth and gums on the screen. With the help of these images your dentist will design tooth restorations based on your individual requirements. After the dental restoration is designed, your dentist will send the designed specifications to a sculpting machine (milling) consisting of CAM to create an exact restoration as specified. Once the restoration is created, your dentist will fit the restoration on the same day without having to return again for a second visit as in the case of a laboratory made restoration.
This technology does not require tooth impressions or reduction of tooth structure for creating the dental restorations.
Advantages of CEREC
Various advantages of CERAC include:
- Accurate shape of dental restorations
- Creates healthy restoration within minutes
- Short sculpting time
- Placement of the dental restoration in a single appointment
- Restorations are safe and made of metal free materials
- Durable, natural and accurately fitted restorations